"In this classroom, relationships are fostered, families are respected, and children are honored.
In this classroom, nature's gifts are valued and children's thoughts are captured.
In this classroom, learning is alive and aesthetic beauty is appreciated." -Unknown

Friday, October 4, 2013

Preschool Shape Hunt...in the Great Outdoors



I recently attended a Train the Trainer session for Project Learning Tree. It's a nature curriculum to engage children in outdoor activities and experiences. For the training, we were able to do some of the activities we would later be able to do with our children. We began with a Shape Hunt. When we arrived we were instructed to take one of each of the shapes provided and with a straw section between each shape, place them on a yarn necklace. 


We went outside and were instructed to see if we could find things outdoors and in nature shaped like the images on our shape necklace.


We successfully were able to find all the shapes we had on our necklaces.


We just began a unit on Trees and Tree Homes so I decided to incorporate the Shape Hunt into the study to encourage the children to look more closely at their surroundings. When they arrived I had the provocation set up to entice them to come over and create their own shape necklace. I chose to use a neutral color for all the shapes and straw sections in shades of green with brown yarn. I wanted to highlight the shapes by placing them in wooden receptacles. My goal in using these colors and display materials was to keep things neutral and natural.


The provocation worked as each child readily began stringing their shapes onto the yarn necklace. As they were stringing, they were identifying the shapes.


We divided the class into three groups of seven children in each group and they began searching. Some items found were man-made, while others were items in nature.  

 

Even children who normally aren't eager to participate, were looking around and identifying shapes around them. We returned to our playground and they continued identifying shapes. Several even carried the activity to their home and did shape hunts with their families. What a great way to pair up shape identification with the great outdoors.


Project Learning Tree has been around for a long time and is a great way to engage children and nature. Now that I have been trained, I'm able to conduct trainings myself and plan to do so in the future.






18 comments:

  1. I love this. The necklace of shapes is such a great idea as a reminder of what to look for. Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lauren. Even the youngest ones who might not know the name of the shape initially, were still able to hold the shape and try to find it outside.

      Delete
  2. Very fun idea. I love it! Love how you get them learning in fun and creative ways. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jodi. Just located your Facebook page and began following it!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love when teaching is taken outside! I used to plan as many outdoor activities as I could when I taught elementary school and now that I homeschool my girls I definitely incorporate a lot of outdoor lessons :) Thank you for linking up to Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop last week! You were chosen as one of my favorites to be featured :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Victoria!! Sharing the blog hop on my Facebook page.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea! Shape hunting can also be done on car trips too. We used to try to see who could find the most shapes on our trips into town from our rural home. I always enjoying seeing what you have come up with :-) Thank you for sharing and for linking up this week to the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill. We're always trying new things as we follow the lead of the kiddos.

      Delete
  5. I love to see kids learning outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful idea! I'll try it. A Colour Hunt would be nice too!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kiddos really did have lots of fun doing it. Hope yours enjoy it just as much.

      Delete
  7. loved this idea ! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun idea! I love the necklace idea -we will definitely have to try this out soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. Just visited your Facebook page and "liked" you.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how fun!! It goes right along with my post on a shape scavenger hunt and scrapbook. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete